Friday 18 December 2009

Real Life DRM Problems: Atlantis the Lost Empire DVD

Most of the time I only casually watch a movie. I do not own every DVD I have a passing interest in. I even have trouble watching movies I really love more than once. Back in 2001, I was browsing the Michigan Ave Borders in Chicago and found the Atlantis The Lost Empire Illustrated Script. I discovered after a few pages that one of my favorite comic book artists, Mike Mignola, designed all the characters and mecha. Later, in Hollywood Video I rented the non-Special Edition DVD. When I watched the disc through my home theater set-up, I was disappointed that the Dolby Digital soundtrack was broken.Disney's Atlantis The Lost Empire is one of the few discs at the moment his master with bad audio flags (with including Pearl Harbor and Jurassic Park 3), in conjunction with my Onkyo 7.1 AV receiver output a few seconds of audio mixed with a few seconds of silence every few seconds (about Denon receivers had the same problem) solution. Disney's DVD was to try a different receiver. Onkyo solution was to prevent run the Dolby Digital and DTS tracks, only available at the $ 40, non-rentable Atlantis Special Edition 2-disc set. Both solutions are unacceptable. I turned to the Internet for answers. I thought you could re-encode the Dolby Digital track with the correct flags with Apple DVD Studio Pro. So all I had to do was grab individual video and audio tracks of the disc, the repair of audio and then burn a DVD movie on the hard-R.Defeating a commercial DVD's CSS DRM is the first problem you'll get in this process. Installation of a movie on a single layer DVD-R is another problem you will encounter when creating a backup of all commercial DVD. Fortunately, the Atlantis disk full both widescreen and pan and scan version of the animated film on the same disc. The widescreen-extraction can easily fit on a DVD Studio Pro R.DVD need the original AC3 audio from the MPEG-2 stream. I demuxes the audio and video into different streams or tracks. I then imported the tracks in DVD Studio Pro. I left the video untouched. The Dolby Digital soundtrack, the required six separate channels to the appropriate speakers in DVD Studio Pro's GUI (L, C, R, LS, RS, Sub). DVD Studio Pro with a new MPEG-2 stream and burned onto a DVD-encoded R.The DVD-R played perfectly. The movie is full surround sound glory in my home theater. Without question the flags of the original Dolby Digital stream, my flagship Onkyo TX-DS989 AV Receiver had no problem. I enjoyed the movie I rented for $ 4 $ 4.My should have gone in the drain with the failed disk. However, the many hours of my precious time and many expensive software and hardware, I was able to a very mediocre animated film of Disney's businesses catalog.Large spoil and they enjoy it not to publish. Personal DIY can fix these screw ups. Part of this DIY process, defeating DVD's DRM protection, was criminal. I do not feel like what I did was theft. I just wanted to watch the movie I paid for.Father, man and Geek. My geeky interests have not changed since I was a child. I still love comic books, anime, role-playing games, console video games, indie rock, imported toys and mecha models, bad American and Great British sitcoms, and all the tech that let's me experience these hobbies fully. Now I am married with children, I have a balance between supporting and pleasing my family and feeding my geekery hunger. Luckily for me, my wife really care and even geeks with me occasion (the ladies love Joss Whedon's "Firefly"). My two years old loves anything that moves on the front screen and makes noise, if they are easy to please. Geekwithfamily.com to advance the lives of fellow geeks and the friends and family that made them richer.

No comments:

Post a Comment